We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.


Saturday, May 8, 2010

DIY

I would like my blog to inspire others to do something creative everyday. It doesn't have to be big, it doesn't always have to be art, but DO something. Anything. I would like to talk about doing things yourself for a moment. So much of our lives are consumed with, well consuming. Spending money on things we think we need. I have personally found that true joy comes from creating. There is a peace found within working with your hands, using your imagination, that just can't be found in purchasing something off the shelf at a Wal-mart or target for instance. With that being said, I am human as well, and we would all agree that we will most likely continue to buy those things we think we need even though we understand its empty worth. So here's my idea. Find something you want, you need, you have to have, but try making it yourself. You still get what you want, but at least you're getting some creativity in there, and usually for a cheaper price. I promise you it will be time well spent. I know, I know, we can't always make everything we want. A car, a curling iron, some new golf clubs...but you can ask yourself...could i go try to make this necklace I like, or one similar? Okay, so I think you get the point. Just DIY. You won't regret it. Here's an example of what I did...I hope it inspires you.... I was at the thrift store and I see this vanity....

Do I want it yes...do I have $300 no. I could just put it on my credit card right? No, because consuming every little thing you want will not make you happy. If you don't have the money, you don't have the money. Its so simple, but people still don't seem to get it. So I leave the store, a little sad. I've been wanting a vanity for so long, and its just my taste...the next weekend I hit a garage sale...I see an old vanity desk in the corner for $15. Its ugly, its brown, its cracking, but I see its beauty. I load it up take it home...with a little sand paper and red spray paint...$10 roughly...It's lookin good...Next, I hit up home depot for some gold hardware and find some nice Chinese inspired handles... about $40...and there you have it. The vanity, I just thought I had to have was surprisingly mine, but only cost me $65.

No comments:

Post a Comment